Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Debt Man Walking !

Meri Jaan, so the US debt standoff has taken a seating and the fragile economy has been VIRTUALLY lifted. All Hail Obama!

Tou, While you enjoy this moment of upbeat market and start planning for a beach-trip to Ocean City, let me share a small story.

When I reached the Yankees shore in the late 90s, I would walk into the grocery stores, Sears, Walmart, JC Penny's and macys carrying cash bills of 100+ and 500+ USD Greens. One day, a friend who saw me use those greens said "dont walk around with so much cash - no one does." I asked - But how would I pay for purchases? Arre yaar - use Credit Card - US runs on plastic and the plastic card !

His mantra stayed with me, I took a note of his advice and started applying for as many credit cards that I could. Some rejected me, some dejected me, as I did not have enough credit history in the country.

Soon a very pretty sounding voice called me up to offer me a card. "We are offering you a PLATINUM VISA CARD with a limit of X amount. We are offering a promotional 18%APR and blah-blah". I was ELATED !!! Yeah - Now, I can live the plastic dream !!! I HAVE an Uncle $am issued CREDIT CARD.

Slowly and slowly I started using the card and kept paying off the amounts and it started building my credit. Initially I had a limit of X and that eventually became X multipled by 500 and manifolds.

Then one day, I realized, why pay off the complete balance? Why not pay only the minimum amount and keep rotating the cash in hand for other uses. So, I kept paying the minimum amounts, and kept moving my cash in hand for other purchase needs.

On the other hand, I also kept asking the credit companies to raise my debt ceiling, as I had already built a good credit.

We really dont need to go further into the story, as the larger idea is to point towards the FOREST, rather than being stuck in the trees and the shrubs!

Are you telling me that in the whole world, the economists are not forseeing the burden of the US debt-ing? Are we as lay folks missing something here?

Should we be rooting at this decision like a hollywood movie scene where the lead actor saves the world from a asteroid or a meteor strike and all the NASA folks start clappping and cheering?

Hey - the crisis has been averted - FOR TODAY!! But, there a need to seriously do some prob-ing? The larger picture is that US has about $10 to $20 trillion in debt and this does not account for the additional liabilities of about $60+ trillion, plus, not accounting the biggest fact that the entire country runs on - CREDIT CARDS!!!! This debt is going no where honey - un-hun !!

Meri Jaan, looking at my story, If the credit card companies raised my debt ceiling from 20K to 100K, it helped me purchase to the extent of 100K and that is fine if I could repay 100K. But hey - if I could not even repay 20K, how the hell am I going to repay trillion dollar debt??

See the forest? Dont you think it is still really a sad state 18months post the Lehmann debacle?

The point of the above bingings is not that US economy will not improve or should the govt have let the country go in another economic grave? Certainly not, these are just my ramblings because as tax payers, we should just have some awarenesss of the ground on which we stand.

I think the debt ceiling raise was the only option the house had to prevent the US economy to go in any more bad state. This decision has certainly bought some time till 2013.

Again that makes sense because the world ends in 2012 - right? So, while we all keep searching for the Economic SINGHAM post 2013, for now, from where I see - US is a debt man walking, tou bhaag DK Bose :)

Meri Jaan, till we meet next, stay focussed -plan for the labor day weekend, stay financially safe and stay in Loeve !!

- Pankaj

25 comments:

Aarti said...

Right on track dost, kaise ho bharatwasi?

Sangeev said...

I am not sure if you understand the whole truth that it is all played by the media, the politicians and the economists running the US. They have to project such instances to keep the world markets in control. We are all poor watchers and do not know what is or can be the truth, but I will tell you one thing public opinion is not upbeat as you think

Virat said...

Good post. Tragedy of today's times

Rina said...

Thanks for posting in our lingo, most people dont even know what all the debt ceiling means. Vaise, I have also been in same boat as you and done worse

Virat said...

@Sangeev - you may be right about media but it is not just that what you think, situation is really bleak - job figures, layoffs speak for themselves and its not changing anytime soon. Real DK Bose situation

Dhar said...

We laugh, you laugh lets all laugh for BUSH screwed US & ALL

Anonymous said...

You are my Singham and you rock with the way you write seriously Pankaj. Come back on EBC and lets talk. XX

Neeti said...

One thing I do not understand is that if situation is so bad, why are all the malls so full, and so are the restaurants? Are we been told something while is the economy really bad? good observations. Your posts do start us thinking a lot.

Vyol said...

recession after recession after recession what can be done

Shazia said...

How are things back in India? All settled in the new place? Here, it is the same mould. Every day someone gets laid off or chances of such happenings keep coming along. Humdum dost, what are the new raves on the movie front? Singham? Buddha hoga bap? Bodyguard? Waiting for RA1 and Don2. Keep these coming more often.

Neeti said...

US Govt is a bull load of sh## China has already reduced the rating, soon other countries and economists will follow. You are correct Doomsday 2012 is here

Suman said...

Hard hitting post Pankaj - not sure if you already know but US AAA rating has been downgraded. Turbulent times are possibly coming to town post Italy, Spain, Greece, Ireleand - all of Africa, Europe, Japan and now it hits the Sam world. How is it looking in India?

Bob said...

It is a great post and there is an incredibly down mood with the AAA rating down for US. From the little that I understand about economics and economies in general, these things keep moving up and down. A country like US if ever goes down will be because we dont produce- we buy, we dont make engineers & docs - we hire, we dont create jobs - we outsource, so there is nothing that is ours - its all bought and that can be a bad thing, if the market goes really down.

Anonymous said...

F$$$ Bush

Chris said...

Economists have been aware of the same for years and so has been the credit debt, some more money printing by the treasury and all these debt wil go away

G3RALD said...

Would we be shutting down the public hospitals, schools, remove the social security, God save America

TGD945 said...

America needs to Wake up, First thing that everyone needs to do is take a look at their 401K, IRA’s, and Investment Portfolio. From what has occurred in the last weeks who is to blame and to get MAD at - The Republicans!

AstroMan said...

World economy will recover in 2020. Another 8yrs to go. My prediction.

LionMehra said...

Bhaisahib sahee kahaa hain this time ke bhaag dk bose kyunki ab delly belly door nahin, I have decided to come to Swades, us desh main jo baaharon ka desh hain, apna des hain, ab US ka moh nahin rahaa mere dost. thank you

Smita said...

Its funny this has been around for SO LONG but why did the credit rating not go down then? I am positive someone in S&P is from China or Japan or maybe Libya Hehe

Ak-47 said...

Its travesty of todays times. I am sure this will boil down to the Eurozone debt and cost us all a lot more down the line. Bush should be hanged for all the damage that he has done to our economy.

Bhuvin said...

Turbulent times Pankaj bhai. Well, wish you a Very Happy Independence Day. You really made the right decision to move back dost, because everyday all we worry about in our desi gatherings is about our jobs. Where is the freedom dost? What have we achieved by coming here, staying for the last 20 years and buying those expensive cars and these homes? Eventually when we will need our kids they will never be with us. Why are we scared to make the decisions that we want to make. I have made a lot of mony in my stocks but my IRA has just gone down blank. where are we headed towards in life? Sometimes I speak with my wife and we question if we are happy or really unhappy. I have sent you an email - please check need some advice. Jai Bharat.

Suman said...

Happy Independence Day. Sad to hear about Yahoo Shammi Kapoor

Anonymous said...

If you want to buy Pippa Middleton dress contact us at http://bid.com

Bhuvin said...

Happy Anna Day