Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Yeh Jo Des Hain Tera !

August 12, 2009

Meri Jaan, pahle tou bahut-bahut maafi for not continuing the show on EBC, but I will keep writing on the blog. Tou aapka aur mera communication channel will still stay open, bindaas, and azaad !

That reminds me that Indian Independence Day is coming this week, so definitely go attend one of those pardes parade-s, be it in New York or Oak Tree.

Go enjoy the food, the stalls, the desh-bhakti-ka-jazba, celebrity sightings and the desi celebrations !

I have done this for some time now, and every year when I used to see the desi flag in full flow, sometimes, I used to get that layer-of-moistness in the eyes (kya karein, the paani puri is always very spicy yaar :)

Meri Jaan, is it really the Paani puri, or deep in our hearts, do we really-really miss apna desh??

It is funny, but one of these days, I was sitting across the Hudson pier and looking at the Manhattan Skyline, and I was just observing.

I was observing the surroundings, the landscape, the trees, the buildings, the water, the people.
What did I see?

All I could see was apna desi public around the riverside, some sitting and eating food, some lazying around, some walking their kids, some taking a break from work, others were just enjoying the breeze !

Whoa !!! Is this Nariman Point or Hudson Pier?? Epiphany strikes!!

Am I in apna desh, or is this videsh?

Meri Jaan, what qualifies this to be Videsh? Is it non-Apne log, or is it the Yule-log (American TV on a Christmas night, anyone :)?

The sights around me seemed to be a frame right out of any office area in any place in apna des (without the manhattan skyline ofcourse :), but all I could see was apne log everywhere !

Tou then, since I had similar desi surroundings around me, was I not in our desh? :)

Is the US our desh becoz we live here, we abide by the laws, pay taxes and this is where we have made our small get together community and this is where we earn our bread and butter?

Or,
is this merely a Rozi-Roti place to cha$e those green$ and make a financially better life for ourselves and the family?

Well, in this Azaadi week, I wont go too deep into this beaten to death conversation, because I think it is is no longer about Apne log or Yule log.

My khopdi-ka-khopcha thinks that circumstances are different for each person, and each and every person has his or her priorities that they need to stick by; Other than that, there is really not much difference between the Hamptons or the Himachals, Pointpleasant or the Aksa beach.

Ek Story yaad aati hain about a parrot in a Raja's palace.

There was once a parrot in a Raja's palace.

Every day, the parrot abided by the
Raja's demands. To keep the Raja happy, the parrot used to sing false praises about the palace and the Raja. Day in and day out the parrot used to sing on the Raja's tunes.

The Raja was very happy and used to kept the parrot in a golden cage. The parrot also felt great staying in the Golden cage and yes, in the Raja's palace.

The Raja used to feed the parrot very well, and used to give him lots of jawaar to eat.
Raja used to tell the parrot that if he did what the Raja said, then one day, the Raja would give the parrot a golden chair.

The parrot was very happy, always waiting for the day he would sit on that golden chair.

One day the great day came and the parrot got the golden chair, but after sitting on the chair, he did not feel any different, as he was still inside the cage, just a little higher.

One evening the parrot was looking outside his cage, looking up in the sky.

The parrot saw all the other parrots flying outside the palace. They were probably not given that much to eat, but most of them seemed very happy, well spirited and free!

Ek Din, a fakeer went by the palace singing a song "Sone ke pinzre ko chod ke dekh, zindagi ka saamna karke tou dekh".

So, one fine day the parrot decided that jo bhi ho, I am not going to stay in this golden cage, I want to be free!

I have the golden chair, I have unlimited jawaar, but where is my life?

Next day, when the Raja asked him to do something, the parrot did what he felt was right! He refused to abide by the Raja's orders.

The Raja got really furious and told his soldiers to remove the bird from the cage, and released the parrot out in the sky and the Raja ordered a new bird for the golden cage!


The parrot was a little shaken, but once he was in the sky he could see the open skies, the horizon-zenith, the limitless expansion, and most importantly, his freedom and his happiness.

Alas ! The parrot was free, he was no longer in that cage.

The parrot had become Ek Azaad Parinda !!!

Meri Jaan, this is not the Aastha channel :) but Woh kahte hain na:





Nazar aur Nazaaron ka aisa nazraana hota hain kabhi-kabhi,
Ke Uski nazrein karam nazar hi nahin aati !
Raah hoti hain, safar hota hain, aur humsafar bhi hote hain,
Lekin,
Zindagi door door tak nazar nahin aati !


Bheja Fry message in this Independence week:
In the end, it is all about what makes YOU free from YOUR Bindings, YOUR miseries, gives YOU what YOU need and makes YOU happy.

If thats what it is, tou phir it really does not matter - chaahe woh yeh desh ho, ya apna desh !!

Tou Meri Jaan, with that I am almost packed up to move out to Apna Swades!

Before I leave, in this Independence week, Ek song yaad aata hain:




Zindagi maut na ban jaaye sambhalon yaaron,
Kho rahaa chain-o aman, mushkilon main hain vatan,
Sarfaroshi ki shamaa dil main jagaa lo yaaron !!!!

Happy Independence Day Week !

Meri Jaan, till we meet next time, stay Safe, stay Azaad, and stay in Loeve !

- Pankaj

27 comments:

Shruti said...

Are you leaving EBC or US? I am shocked. I was just checking your old posts and suddenly saw the new one.

Reena said...

I am going to miss you on EBC. My eyes are moist right now. Check your email please.

Sanjay said...

Great story. Enjoy Swades, we are stuck in this Des. Be free Pankaj. Thank you.

Marisa said...

Is this temporary move or permanent? Will miss my drivetime. I love the song.

Shamima said...

Sorry to hear that. Good luck.

Vibha said...

My frnd told me about you. We listen to you every thursday and have been thinking you are out of town for the last 2-3 weeks. This is really shocking. We wish you all the best.

PriyanMitesh said...

You made me cry with the parrot story. I came to the US 12 yrs back thinking I will go back in 4 years. I did my masters, then I got married, GC, Citizenship, couple of job moves, now I have 2 daughters 7 & 5 yrs old. Sometimes, you cannot get a handle on your life and what you want to do in life. I dont know your reasons of moving to your country, but I am happy for you. I have so many friends in India who are very happy and they do not miss US except for the (that they used to be fed up of) snow storms. Though I will miss your evening drive time show, I and my family will be happy for you.

Virat said...

Good one. Happy Independence day to you.

Anonymous said...

I think you are kidding. We want to listen to you this thursday. Please play Phir bhi Dil hain hindustani to all the listeners.

Jay said...

Good luck buddy

Anu said...

The paani poori and the thaali food is making me really hungry. Very nice story of the parrot. It is always very difficult to think which is better? Life here has issues and so does back home. I think the social hassles are less here and thats why we all really like it here. But then you have friends who back bite and crazy people in the gym who go about shooting. I have been here more than 20 yrs now and I think of moving to India every year. I love this place but I definitely miss India. If possible, do continue recording and uploading your show on the blog. My family really likes your style of speaking and blog writing. You may not remember but I had called you to tell you that my kids now speak a lot in Hindi and use "meri jaan" a lot. You are the best RJ on EBC. If not the show, I and my family will wait for the blog every week. We will miss you.

Anonymous said...

jeevan ke safar main rahee, miltey hain bichad jaane ko aur dey jaate hain yaadein tanhayee main tadpaane ko

Anonymous said...

I love my India. Jai Bharat.

Shazia said...

Very nice blog. I will show it to my better half and this might just inspire him to move back to Dubai. What is the kind of food in the pictures? Is it Indian food? We all beleive that we are making money here but we are fooling ourselves. It is a false environment that we all are creating around us. This is a great place to come to higher study and maybe work for a few years, but other than that unless you have nothing to go back to (I have all my brothers, sisters and family here and there is nothing for me in Pakistan), I would go back anyday.

Pooja said...

Is this true that you wont be coming on EBC? Good luck for independence.

B Shah & Family said...

Happy Independence day

Sonal said...

Sad to see you go from EBC. Are you joining the other radio station? My personal thing is that where ever you are if you are happy then that is the area you should live in. This could mean a city, a neighborhood, a state, or country. People move from east to west coast all the time, or from some other country to a better country. It is all about personal happiness. The gol gappe and daal baati looks very delicious. Happy Independence Week.

Bipin said...

mere humdum aur dost Pankaj chod rahey ho humey? Hindi hain hum vatan hain hindustaan hamaara. Aa chal ke tujhe main leke chaloon aik aise gagan ke taley, jahaan gam hi gam ho aansoon hi aansoon ho but pyar aur khushi faley.

Anonymous said...

Good blog hum hindustani

Surbhi said...

Happy Independence Day. Were you at Oak Tree road today? I thought I saw you on stage? Will miss you Pankaj.

Virat said...

Pankaj, I am really sad to see you go from EBC. The Parrot story is almost the story of our lives in the US. Thank you and yes happy independence from the US cage.

Anonymous said...

Good luck

Aniket VYas said...

HEY mama hw r u???

Aniket VYas said...

Anike alias CHINKU...:P

Miita said...

Will you be coming on air this thursday? Or are you pretty much done from EBC? I wanted to come by and meet you. Did you hear about Shahrukh? How can they do that to the biggest star in the world? I will also send you an email at your yahoo ac.

Priti said...

Seriously?? Waiting for the new blog and show today.

Reena said...

Where are you Pankaj? Miss the show. When are you posting the new blog?